From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] can an overlay force a USE flag on a host?
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 22:04:38
1 On 01/03/2010 12:48 AM, Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
2 > Yes, but AFAIK, enabling a USE flag by-default only affects the enabling
3 > ebuild, not its dependencies. Specifically, By setting "+myflag" in an
4 > ebuild, I cannot incur a rebuild of a dependent which is also using this
5 > flag.
6
7 Right, but if the ebuild has a USE dependency (supported with EAPI
8 2) then at least emerge will notify the user that they need to
9 enable the flag.
10
11 > Appending "myflag" to the USE set via a profile would achieve that
12 > behavior.
15 >>> In a/m bug, the lack of documentation in this area is mentioned . I'm
16 >>> wondering if this has changed since those comments were written, as I'm
17 >>> confounded by bits and pieces I'm fishing out w/google.
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> The information in the wiki seems current.
21 >>
22 > Would that be http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Overlay ?
23 > If so, then
24 >
25 > * your a/m comment #6 in the bug, clarifying that the 'profiles'
26 > directory has nothing to do with portage profiles is most valuable.
27 >
28 > <QUOTE>
29 >
30 > Don't let the directory name "profiles" make you think that it has
31 > anything to do with a profile
32 >
33 > <UNQUOTE>
34 > Well, it actually did make me think that. it looked plausible that
35 > an overlay could extend a portage profile.
36
37 It's a common assumption, but doing that is not necessarily a
38 desirable because it can be invasive. Often, a user simply wants to
39 use some ebuilds from an overlay without having it triggering an
40 invasive bunch of global configuration changes.
41
42 > * The article also mentions "portage overlay specifications", but
43 > does not cite it.
44
45 repo_name is documented in `man 5 portage`.
46
47 > * That an overlay can extend package.[un]mask is also not mentioned
48 > there.
49
50 Yes, the 'global' package.[un]mask files in the root profiles/
51 directory do extend those from the main portage tree, but this
52 behavior is not necessarily desirable because it can be invasive.
53 There was some complaint in the past about the gnome overlay relying
54 on this behavior since alternative package managers (paludis and
55 pkgcore) didn't support it and they did not intend to add support
56 for it.
57
58 > I'm currently reluctant to contribute documentation myself, since I'm
59 > lacking key concepts. I'd be happy to do so if I had a more thorough
60 > understanding.
61
62 Let us know if you have any more questions.
63 --
64 Thanks,
65 Zac