From: Amit Dor-Shifer <amitds@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] can an overlay force a USE flag on a host?
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 08:49:13
1 Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 12/31/2009 06:41 AM, Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
3 >
4 >> In cont. to my prev. question
5 >> (http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage-dev/msg_9973fd6c12d7c2088457697f49ea2f5e.xml)
8 >> Can I append use.force/package.use.force/package.use or similar to an
9 >> overlay, and by that control USE flags on the host?
12 > With EAPI 1 and greater you can use IUSE="+flag" to enable flags by
13 > default in an ebuild.
14 Yes, but AFAIK, enabling a USE flag by-default only affects the enabling
15 ebuild, not its dependencies. Specifically, By setting "+myflag" in an
16 ebuild, I cannot incur a rebuild of a dependent which is also using this
17 flag.
18
19 Appending "myflag" to the USE set via a profile would achieve that behavior.
22 >> In a/m bug, the lack of documentation in this area is mentioned . I'm
23 >> wondering if this has changed since those comments were written, as I'm
24 >> confounded by bits and pieces I'm fishing out w/google.
27 > The information in the wiki seems current.
28 >
29 Would that be http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Overlay ?
30 If so, then
31
32 * your a/m comment #6 in the bug, clarifying that the 'profiles'
33 directory has nothing to do with portage profiles is most valuable.
34
35 <QUOTE>
36
37 Don't let the directory name "profiles" make you think that it has anything to do with a profile
40 <UNQUOTE>
41 Well, it actually did make me think that. it looked plausible that
42 an overlay could extend a portage profile.
43
44 * The article also mentions "portage overlay specifications", but
45 does not cite it.
46 * That an overlay can extend package.[un]mask is also not mentioned
47 there.
48
49 I'm currently reluctant to contribute documentation myself, since I'm
50 lacking key concepts. I'd be happy to do so if I had a more thorough
51 understanding.
52
53 Amit