From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] 2.1 release candidate soon?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 15:22:28
1 On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 05:15:53PM +0200, Philipp Riegger wrote:
2 > On Apr 7, 2006, at 5:26 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >
4 > >We have a new cache format, confcache, parallel fetch, etc... The
5 > >bonus
6 > >is these features are already mature and relatively old ( a year +
7 > >as of
8 > >now ).
9 >
10 > Reading about confcache i have one question:
11 >
12 > When i saw, that this feature exists (in make.examples) i activated
13 > it. But it did not work because i had not emerged confcache. I think
14 > this check should be stricter, if i want confcache and have
15 > FEATURES="confcache" and confcache is not emerged, i think
16 > emerge ... should die, not just say "Ok, you said you want it but
17 > you don't have it, so i don't use it". What do you think about that?
18
19 Precedent is against you in this case...sandbox is the same way
20 (notify instead of bailing).
21
22 Personally I prefer the "if I told you to do something, bail if you
23 can't" approach, but for features portage has usually done the
24 opposite.
25 ~harring