From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] 2.1-rc3-r5 extraneous but (I think) harmless message?
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 00:22:20
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > I've been noticing this for a couple revisions I think, but am not sure if
3 > it's new behavior or if I'm just noticing what's been there all along.
4 >
5 > At the end of a new package merge, after the binpkg tarball (I'm using
6 > FEATURES=binpkg) has been created, then decompressed and merged, but
7 > before the emerge --clean phase unmerges old versions, I'm seeing what
8 > appears to be an incorrect but harmless message. Here's what I get for
9 > gcc, so you can see the sequence (the three lines, safely unmerging thru
10 > original instance unmerged, is what I'm talking about):
13 >>>>/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.1.1/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-4.1.1 -> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
14 >>>>Safely unmerging already-installed instance...
15 >
16 > No package files given... Grabbing a set.
17 >
18 >>>>Original instance of package unmerged safely.
19 >
20 > * The current gcc config appears valid, so it will not be
21 > * automatically switched for you. If you would like to
22 > * switch to the newly installed gcc version, do the
23 > * following:
24 >
25 > * eselect compiler set <profile>
28 > * If you have issues with packages unable to locate libstdc++.la,
29 > * then try running 'fix_libtool_files.sh' on the old gcc versions.
32 >>>>Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
33 >>>>sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1 merged.
36 >>>>No packages selected for removal by clean.
39 >>>>Auto-cleaning packages...
42 > /What/ already-installed instance? It's a /new/ version of the package,
43 > so there was no already installed instance to unmerge. Again, this is
44 > before the clean phase, which occurs just after that, and which removes
45 > the old version as expected, so it's not that.
46 >
47 > I know the message itself isn't new, and I'm used to seeing it when I'm
48 > remerging a package over itself, where the message makes sense. Why is it
49 > showing up here, when it's a new package version, so there's no original
50 > instance to unmerge? Is this new behavior or has it always done that and I
51 > never noticed it until now?
54 Looking at the code I'd guess you'd never noticed, I don't see any
55 commits in treewalk lately, it should occur for all packages.
56 --
57 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list