From: "David Bélanger" <dbelan2@×××××××××.ca>
To: "L. S." <lsearchw@××××××××××××.us>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Install
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 21:25:20
1 On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 03:07:56AM -0700, L. S. wrote:
2 > Does anyone have clear steps on installing Gentoo Universal Live system
3 > (directly off of the CD-ROM, no network stuff)?
4 >
5 > I tried last night to do it using the spaghetti document which bunches
6 > all of the steps (stage1, 2, 3) all in one document.
7 >
8 > It's not clear if stage 3 install requires the emerge step and kernel
9 > config stuff.. so I fell after a few a few hours after "# source
10 > /etc/profile" was fine and "emerge ..." failed.
13 > I am tring to install Gentoo on a new 15" Powerbook that came out (about
14 > three weeks ago, end of April 2004 or so.)
15 > I am not new to Linux at all, but new to Gentoo.
18 Hi,
19
20 All steps are basically required except the bootstrap (if you use stage
21 3).
22
23 After bunzip2ing stage 3, you have a working build system (gcc etc.).
24 You need to bunzip2 a portage snapshot should be available somewhere on
25 the CD. This will give you emerge etc. I think it is kept separately
26 as portage (emerge etc.) version must more or less be in sync with the
27 portage tree files.
30 David
31
32 ---