From: Carl Hudkins <carl@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Questions about [...] audio
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:30:28
1 On Tuesday 16 November 2004 23:52, Carl Hudkins wrote:
2
3 Ok, some more info now that I have experimented a bit...
4
5 > Now since the basic system is up and running, it's time to play! I
6 > have enabled ALSA in the kernel (2.6 dev-sources), with OSS emulation
7 > and all options under it, and sound mostly works. For example, I can
8 > hear DVD audio in xine, and the "Test Sound" feature in KDE Control
9 > Center works most of the time -- but sometimes it stops and I have to
10 > play with the mute controls in Kmix to get it back. However, none of
11 > the event sounds will play from within KDE, but will play using ogg123.
12
13 About volume control: AlsaMixer will change the sound of videos using
14 the "PC Speak" control; using the "PC Speaker" control in KMix has no
15 effect -- except that if KMix's "Auto Mute" switch is on, if I change any
16 of the Output or Input controls the sound gets muted until I toggle "Auto
17 Mute" back to off. KMix says it is using "PowerMac Screamer", which
18 appears to be the name of Apple's onboard audio for this machine.
19
20 Inside xine, which is using OSS for audio (though this is ALSA emulating
21 OSS), the volume control also has no effect when playing video files or
22 DVDs.
23
24 KDE system sounds still don't play at all, though the "Test Sound" button
25 works. It seems to make no difference whether I choose "Open Sound
26 System" or "Threaded Open Sound System" in the Control Center.
27
28 > Next, anyone using xine on this kind of system? I'm wondering if the
29 > video quality can be improved. Currently it has lots of little flecks
30 > in it, almost like static you'd get by watching TV with a poor signal.
31
32 I have to amend that description -- the video glitches are sets of tiny
33 green dots. In large, solid areas they will appear in rows and columns;
34 in other shapes they may follow the curves of an outline, though you can
35 still see a grid effect if there are enough of them. This makes it look
36 like something to do with memory, to me.
37
38 > I'm going to fool around with this more, changing things like X color
39 > depth and such, because I really haven't done much investigating of
40
41 I did experiment with different X settings. Reducing screen dimensions
42 from 1600x1200 to 1280x1024 got rid of my colored blobs; changing color
43 depths did not. I'm pretty sure "green blobs" is on the xine FAQ
44 somewhere... I should go read it again.
45
46 Hm, 1600x1200 seems excessive, anyway. ;) Consider my video question
47 answered!
50 // Carl Hudkins :: Jabber yther@××××××××.info :: PGP 50238D9E
51 //
52 // ==] What would Jeeves do? [==