From: Carl Hudkins <carl@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Questions about xine video & KDE audio
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 04:52:46
1 Hi!
2
3 First of all, thanks to those folks who answered my questions about hard
4 drives & DMA; the new drive is in place and working perfectly. :)
5
6 Now since the basic system is up and running, it's time to play! I have
7 enabled ALSA in the kernel (2.6 dev-sources), with OSS emulation and all
8 options under it, and sound mostly works. For example, I can hear DVD
9 audio in xine, and the "Test Sound" feature in KDE Control Center works
10 most of the time -- but sometimes it stops and I have to play with the
11 mute controls in Kmix to get it back. However, none of the event sounds
12 will play from within KDE, but will play using ogg123.
13
14 Sound with aRts through ALSA sounds horrible -- too loud and full of
15 static. If I tell KDE to use OSS instead (even though it's just ALSA
16 emulating OSS), it sounds normal. Sound from ogg123 through aRts sounds
17 nasty too, so it seems aRts uses the direct ALSA there. Sound from
18 ogg123 through ALSA plays just fine.
19
20 I am on a 450MHz dual G3 here (blue & white, made in August 1999). Does
21 anyone know what's going on with the sound?
22
23 Next, anyone using xine on this kind of system? I'm wondering if the
24 video quality can be improved. Currently it has lots of little flecks in
25 it, almost like static you'd get by watching TV with a poor signal. I'm
26 going to fool around with this more, changing things like X color depth
27 and such, because I really haven't done much investigating of video yet;
28 I'm just trying to see if someone out there has a similar system that
29 works well.
30
31 Thanks!
34 // Carl Hudkins :: Jabber yther@××××××××.info :: PGP 50238D9E