From: Nathan Smith <ndansmith@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] hda/hdc
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 18:11:52
Randy Barlow wrote:
> Howdy all! I'm new to ppc but not new to Gentoo. I just picked up an old G3 > Blue and White for $20 to play around with, and I'm just starting to install > Gentoo. I'm noticing that my hard drive seems to be showing up as hdc and > the cdrom as hda in the install cd environment. Is this normal/ok? I can't > think of any reason that it wouldn't be OK, but it does seem strange to me. > Perhaps the drives are plugged into the mobo backwards? I haven't opened the > box yet...
I just finished installing Gentoo on a Blue&White, so I can offer some advice. Don't trouble yourself at first with the hardware (which bus the HD is plugged in to, jumpers, etc.) Just install Gentoo to /dev/hdc. Now once you boot into your kernel, more than likely the devices will be ordered /dev/hda - hard drive /dev/hde - CD. So then you have to chroot in again and manually edit yaboot.conf on the bootstrap partition to point to /dev/hda. Also, don't forget to update your /etc/fstab to reflect the fact that the hard drive is now /dev/hda. Hope that helps! -- Nathan Smith ndansmith@×××××.com -- gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list