From: Bryn Hughes <linux@×××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] xinetd crashes after connection exits
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:50:26
1 >>> Well there's 2 immediate differences between our setups, and I'm
2 >>> disinclined to think that architecture is an issue cause I've run
3 >>> amanda
4 >>> on ppc as well (2.4.3 I think)., and never raced xinetd. I'm on x86
5 >>> now,
6 >>> using xinetd-2.3.13 like you, but not using the ebuild. Not to be
7 >>> presumptuous, but have you tried doing a manual installation? It was
8 >>> a
9 >>> major pain the first few times, but I can show my configs if you
10 >>> want to
11 >>> try that route. I have no idea whether that will fix your issue but
12 >>> it
13 >>> might be worth a go. Been running amanda 2.4.3 for a long while,
14 >>> 2.4.4
15 >>> recently.
16 >>
17 >> I get exactly the same results with a manual build as I do with the
18 >> ebuild. Just gave it a try again to be sure, I still get the same
19 >> race condition. I also tried building amanda manually, didn't help
20 >> the situation either. I've run amanda and xinetd together before on
21 >> ppc but not under gentoo... I have them running together happily on
22 >> an x86 box sitting right next to the 'problem' server too. I'm
23 >> starting to wonder if there's a problem with some dependancy of
24 >> xinetd now. <sigh>
25 >>
26 >> Bryn
27 >
28 > Just tried recompiling all dependencies of both xinetd and amanda, no
29 > change. xinetd still races after the second connection. I'm pretty
30 > much at a loss as to what to try next. :(
31 >
32 > Bryn
33
34 Just tried building the old-style inetd (netkit). It seems to work
35 perfectly well with Amanda. I guess I'll stick with it for the time
36 being. This at least confirms that amanda itself is working fine on my
37 box. Given that the only service I'm dealing with is amanda and I
38 don't really need any of the features xinetd offers I guess it'll just
39 have to be good enough!
40
41 Bryn
45 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list