From: stuporglue <stuporglue@×××××.com>
To: Michael George <george@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] no eth0 and cannot run mkofboot
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:11:20
1 On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:29:27 -0400, Michael George <george@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I got my gentoo system installed on my 800MHz quicksilver powermac. It
3 > rebooted just fine, but it cannot find it's ethernet device.
4 >
5 > I build the MACE controller into the kernel, so I thought it would be all set.
6 >
7 > So, on my newly booted system, I went to /usr/src/linux and did a make
8 > menuconfig and I changed the built-in ethernet controllers to modules so that
9 > I could try to see if they would load and maybe get more debugging info.
10 >
11 > I rebuilt the kernel and moved it into place, but when I run mkofboot, it
12 > cannot get the open firmware address of my devices because sysfs is missing.
13 >
14 > I also got an error on startup that syslog-ng was not present (I removed it as
15 > per the instructions in teh handbook so that I could put the preferred logger
16 > in place). I removed what it said and metalog claims to be running, but dmesg
17 > has only error message and /var/log/messages is empty.
18 >
19 > So my questions:
20 >
21 > What device drivers for ethernet should I include for a quicksilver 800MHz and
22 > is there something I specifically have to do to enable it?
23
24 Try running lspci or "cat /proc/pci | more" and look for anything that
25 looks ethernet-y
26
27 > Why is sysfs missing?
28 >
29 > What did I miss that my system is still trying to run syslog-ng and why isn't
30 > metalog logging anything?
31
32 Did you update the rc scripts?
33 #rc-update del syslog-ng
34 #rc-update add metalog default
38 iBook 800MHz - Gentoo 2.6.8
39 www.stuporglue.com
40 PPC Linux, Wallpaper I've made, random stuff
43 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list