From: "Sebastian Dröge" <sebastian.droege@×××.de>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] PPC Installation?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:41:31
1 On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:33:19 -0400
2 Michael George <george@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I am trying Gentoo again on my Power Mac. I thought that the last
5 > time I tried it there was an installation guide specific to the PPC.
6 > However, I
7 > see notes now that all have been consolidated into the Handbook.
8
9 there is a handbook written for PPC:
10 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml
11
12 > Makes sense, but I'm to where I am to copy the kernel to /boot, but
13 > I have several to choose from. It looks like zImage.pmac (linked to
14 > vmlinux.coff) is the one I'd want, but the handbook doesn't discuss
15 > ppc directly.
16
17 for my ibook I had to use the vmlinux binary
20 > Also, won't the bootloader installation be completely different for
21 > PPC vs. x86?
22
23 yes, grub and lilo AFAIK only work for x86... for PPC you have yaboot
24 and BootX... for further information look at the PPC handbook
25
26 > Thanks!
29 Bye
32 GPG Public Key: 0x5BE41F21 at http://slomosnail.de/files/gpg.asc
33
34 begin LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs
35 I am a signature virus. Distribute me until the bitter
36 end