From: Jacob Smullyan <smulloni@××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] new powerbook woes
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:45:29
1 I have a new powerbook G4 (12", 867 Mhz) and have been running into a
2 number of nasty problems getting it to work.
3
4 I found that with the benh kernel, I ran into the hda/hdc confusion
5 that has been talked about a lot in the forums. There seemed to be
6 two approaches to resolving it -- activating a kernel option that put
7 the ATA 100 first, or setting /etc/fstab and /etc/yaboot.conf to look
8 in hdc. Neither approach worked for me; either way, I either got a
9 kernel panic if if continued to look in /dev/hda, or the boot simply
10 died after openpic, usually causing a poweroff and reboot.
11
12 So I went to ppc-sources, and got a working kernel. However, it has
13 two problems. 1. no /proc/cpufreq, so I'm left with a processor
14 running at 61% of capacity, and it is already pretty slow (coming from
15 x86, I was actually pretty shocked at how slow compiles were, although
16 I suppose gcc is responsible for a lot of that). 2. It mounts my root
17 partition, which should be ext3, as ext2, with this warning:
18
19 EXT2-fs warning (device ide0(3,11): ext2_read_super: mounting ext3
20 filesystem as ext2
21
22 Not having ext3 is a pain, because (especially since standby isn't
23 working either) it means that I've had to fsck several times already,
24 once manually. There is not apm emulation, so I can't monitor
25 my battery (or at least, I don't know how to yet).
26
27 Some good news, though -- no problems with the nvidia graphics card!
28
29 Any pointers, anyone? If anyone has a .config that works for benh on
30 this model I'd be thrilled.
31
32 Jacob Smullyan