From: Stefan Bruda <bruda@×××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] ALSA is very quiet
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 13:32:28
1 Hi.
2
3 At 14:10 +0000 on 2004-5-8 Nicolas Vollmar wrote:
4 >
5 > I'm running Linux on my iBook (800MHz G3) and i can play sound but
6 > only very quiet. I can't change the volume higher.
7
8 I also lost my system beep in the process of migrating to ALSA. The
9 said beep is now _really_ quitet (as in silent as far as my ears can
10 figure it out). Also, XEmacs sounds are missing in action through the
11 'native sound' interface though the thing happily beeps away under
12 ESD. Through what device is the system emmitting its beep?
13
14 This being said, xmms, xine, and the like work fine. What do you
15 exactly mean by playing sound? From what application? Did you unmute
16 the sound card first (by using, e.g., alsamixer from the
17 media-sound/alsa-utils package)? I had to do this on my system before
18 hearing anything at all.
19
20 Running 2.6.5-rc3-ben0 with its own ALSA drivers on a rev III Tibook
21 here.
22
23 Stefan
26 If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
27 it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
28 --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
31 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list