From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Glibc pooched. Borked system.
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 09:45:09
> > In any case, you can always extract the full base tarball from the > > installation CD. You will get more than what is needed but you > > wont have to reinstall. It messes a little the system but you > > can always remove later any files not owned by any installed ebuilds. > > Thank you, this is what I'll do. > > > David > > -d >
Well, bad news. I re-extracted the tarball, and all seemed to be going well. It still booted, and there were no segfaults. I emerged sync'ed again to see if portage is working, and it seemed fine. So I start with installing vim (can't stand nano ;)) and it wants to install a few packages, (ctags, vim-core, vim, gentoo-syntax) so off I go. It gets through ctags just fine, but then drops me back at a prompt, even though there were no errors! Huh? So I try again: eden etc # emerge -vp vim Segmentation fault eden etc # ls -l Segmentation fault I don't know why it is doing this, and I no longer care. I am just going to reinstall, as I don't really want to begin this systems life in such a botched state, even if it is possible to fix. I do appreciate your help though, and hopefully with a clean slate things will go better for me :) Thanks, -d -- darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..." - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972