From: Calum Selkirk <cselkirk@×××××.com>
To: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-user] Re: Modem setup for wallstreet PB
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 10:41:58
1 * tetsuotheironman [tetsuotheironman@×××.com] [2002-07-04 12:22 -0400]:
2
3 > > > I'm having a hardtime figuring out what to link /dev/modem to..
4 > > > i've tried a couple of /dev/pty and /dev/tty devices but there are
5 > > > so many.. I can't really figure out where it is supposed to be..
6 > > > Does anyone know off the top of their head? (or could you possible
7 > > > tell me how to find out?
8 > >
9 > > /dev/ttyS2
10 [..]
11
12 > I must have my kernel compiled incorrectly then.... None of the
13 > devices that start with 'tty' have characters after them.. only
14 > numbers... that's what was confusing me.. everything tells me 'ttyS2'
15 > but the only devices that have letters start with 'pty' .. Any
16 > suggestions?
17
18 Not sure what is happening here, or why these divices are missing, devfs
19 is still relativly new to me .. try making the device:
20
21 # su -
22 # cd /dev
23 # ./MAKEDEV ttyS2
24
25 (or mknod -m 666 /dev/ttyS2 c 4 64 .. but i believe the MAKEDEV script
26 is the accepted way now).
27
28 As far as your kernel build goes, prehaps you'd answerd =n for
29 CONFIG_MAC_SERIAL and devfs failed to make the device (again, my
30 knowledge of devfs is flaky).
31
32 Also .. with the Wallstreet modem I initially (this is 4+ years back)
33 had problems with the modem init, this is fixed by adding a delay to
34 the to the modem initialization string:
35
36 \d\d\n\dAT& etc
37
38 HTH and `echo success`