From: Stefan Bruda <bruda@×××××××××××.ca>
To: Nicolas Vollmar <nv1@×××.ch>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] ALSA is very quiet
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 16:41:27
1 At 18:28 +0000 on 2004-5-8 Nicolas Vollmar wrote:
2 >
3 > > This being said, xmms, xine, and the like work fine. What do you
4 > > exactly mean by playing sound? From what application? Did you unmute
5 > > the sound card first (by using, e.g., alsamixer from the
6 > > media-sound/alsa-utils package)? I had to do this on my system before
7 > > hearing anything at all.
8 >
9 > I mean playing sound with xmms (or Naotun etc) or KDE (Startup
10 > Sound etc). I followed the ALSA Configuration Guide. I set all to
11 > the maximum at alsamixer and with the fn key's of my ibook, but i
12 > hear while playing the sound only with a very low volume.
13
14 Hmm, could it be because of ARTS? Not being a KDE user I don't know
15 for sure how to configure ARTS and so on.
16
17 In any case, there have been some discussions about the absence of
18 sounds of the Gentoo fora, here are some issues that have been
19 highlighted.
20
21 First of all, what kernel version are you running? I run
22 2.6.5-rc3-ben0 (rsync-ed outside the Gentoo portage tree, not sure
23 what version is in the mentioned tree) which mostly works (except
24 system beep as mentioned, but in any case xmms and the such do work).
25 There have been some mentions of similar symptoms with older kernels
26 (which is to say, older ALSA drivers; but then the ALSA drivers are in
27 the kernel on 2.6 series). By the way, if you run a 2.6 kernel do not
28 emerge alsa-driver, the kernel contains all you need. If you run on
29 the 2.4 series do emerge the drivers (it has been reported that 0.9.7
30 and above works, the current portage version is 0.9.8 or something).
31
32 I may state the obvious here, but make sure I2C_KEYWEST is set in the
33 kernel configuration process. This is where the sound card resides on
34 most Apple machines (it does reside here on my Tibook).
35
36 This is mostly shooting in the dark (my configuration worked out of
37 the box), but I hope it helps a bit.
38
39 Stefan
42 If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
43 it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
44 --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
47 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list