From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: ulm@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council: Policy for Systemd units
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 16:50:17
1 Dnia 2013-06-12, o godz. 18:37:08
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > >>>>> On Wed, 12 Jun 2013, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
5 >
6 > >> There was the argument that the unit file wasn't accepted upstream,
7 > >> and I wouldn't dismiss this lightly. Often it's a cleaner solution
8 > >> if files foreign to a package are installed by a separate
9 > >> supplementary package. It avoids recompilation of the original
10 > >> package by the user, for example.
11 >
12 > > So is openrc file.
13 > > So is logrotate file.
14 > > So are cron scripts.
15 >
16 > I was more thinking about support files for Emacs, where we do this
17 > all the time: If the file is included with the upstream package, it's
18 > being installed by that package's ebuild. Otherwise, it will go into
19 > its own separate package. (And I guess it is similar for Vim.)
20
21 That's very inconsistent and therefore problematic for users. Some
22 packages work out-of-the-box, others require manually merging
23 additional packages...
24
25 I was thinking of trying to find a better way of providing support
26 files. I thought about it for a minute then decide it's not really
27 worth it. There's no simpler and more efficient way than just adding
28 that tiny file to the package.
29
30 Even if that sums up to 10 different files, no other solution can be
31 better. If you introduce additional packages, the ebuilds, cache, vardb
32 -- it is all going to take up more space than those installed files.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny