From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "Ulrich Müller" <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council: Policy for Systemd units
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 18:36:41
1 On 12 June 2013 17:51, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2013-06-12, o godz. 18:37:08
3 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> >>>>> On Wed, 12 Jun 2013, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
6 >>
7 >> >> There was the argument that the unit file wasn't accepted upstream,
8 >> >> and I wouldn't dismiss this lightly. Often it's a cleaner solution
9 >> >> if files foreign to a package are installed by a separate
10 >> >> supplementary package. It avoids recompilation of the original
11 >> >> package by the user, for example.
12 >>
13 >> > So is openrc file.
14 >> > So is logrotate file.
15 >> > So are cron scripts.
16 >>
17 >> I was more thinking about support files for Emacs, where we do this
18 >> all the time: If the file is included with the upstream package, it's
19 >> being installed by that package's ebuild. Otherwise, it will go into
20 >> its own separate package. (And I guess it is similar for Vim.)
21 >
22 > That's very inconsistent and therefore problematic for users. Some
23 > packages work out-of-the-box, others require manually merging
24 > additional packages...
25 >
26 > I was thinking of trying to find a better way of providing support
27 > files. I thought about it for a minute then decide it's not really
28 > worth it. There's no simpler and more efficient way than just adding
29 > that tiny file to the package.
30 >
31 > Even if that sums up to 10 different files, no other solution can be
32 > better. If you introduce additional packages, the ebuilds, cache, vardb
33 > -- it is all going to take up more space than those installed files.
34 >
35 > --
36 > Best regards,
37 > Michał Górny
38
39 This entire thread proves how immature we are as a developer community
40 and that we rather
41 ignore our users for the sake of our interests and stubbornness. And
42 of course this is a classic example
43 of a non-existing or bad leadership.
46 Regards,
47 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
48 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang