From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 08:57:31
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 06/25/2013 09:11 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > Dnia 2013-06-25, o godz. 00:27:55 hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
6 > napisał(a):
7 >
8 >> On 06/24/2013 12:59 AM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
9 >>> The dev manual doesn't believe this is implicit nor without
10 >>> any consensus. True, it doesn't ban you from adding a new
11 >>> eclass, but it doesn't say you can just go and randomly add new
12 >>> eclasses without discussion either.
13 >>
14 >> I know the devmanual quite well. The example in it's procedure
15 >> was a bit more complex than you are describing, so I don't see
16 >> how that adds anything.
17 >>
18 >> People agreed that the eclass is fine, but there was no real
19 >> consensus about the question whether we actually want an eclass
20 >> based solution. You can't have both, because it does not make
21 >> sense. At one point you have to decide, council did nothing to
22 >> aid in this heated (really heated) discussion.
23 >
24 > Wasn't there? I can think of the two people being really unhappy
25 > with it (guess why), a few more being unsure or indifferent. You
26 > can't get all the people to be happy.
27 >
28 > I'm really sorry that you're unhappy with the solution we've put
29 > our work into. But I'd really appreciate if you two stopped
30 > undermining it, 'spreading FUD' and accepted the fact that -- even
31 > if the eclass-based solution didn't get a 'real consensus' -- yours
32 > wouldn't get even that close to it.
33 >
34 > And I'm sad that you can't keep it professional. I'm doing my best
35 > to help you with multilib-portage. It's an out-of-tree project
36 > which is not officially supported, yet I hack the eclass to keep it
37 > working. And I don't get anything for it, really, just more
38 > blustering [dictionary translation, meaning may have been lost].
39 >
40 > That said, I don't know what the Council could or should do.
41 > Should the Council be responsible for reading discussions and
42 > grabbing whether there was a consensus or not? Or making one in the
43 > name of the whole community?
44 >
45 > Last but not least, I don't even know if there were *two*
46 > solutions proposed. It seems a bit like it's between *a working
47 > solution now*, and not doing anything and waiting till you get it
48 > anywhere near official acceptance. Note that the timeframe and
49 > willingness of people to work on it is an important point as well.
50 > And likeliness that everything breaks apart when people touch
51 > multilib.eclass.
55 I'm sorry but this is all somehow offtopic, since the questions were
56 directed to dberkholz and can be answered without discussing the
57 _example_.
58
59 Thanks.