From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: hasufell@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:10:17
1 Dnia 2013-06-25, o godz. 00:27:55
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 06/24/2013 12:59 AM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
5 > > The dev manual doesn't believe this is implicit nor without any
6 > > consensus. True, it doesn't ban you from adding a new eclass, but it
7 > > doesn't say you can just go and randomly add new eclasses without
8 > > discussion either.
9 >
10 > I know the devmanual quite well. The example in it's procedure was a bit
11 > more complex than you are describing, so I don't see how that adds anything.
12 >
13 > People agreed that the eclass is fine, but there was no real consensus
14 > about the question whether we actually want an eclass based solution.
15 > You can't have both, because it does not make sense. At one point you
16 > have to decide, council did nothing to aid in this heated (really
17 > heated) discussion.
18
19 Wasn't there? I can think of the two people being really unhappy with
20 it (guess why), a few more being unsure or indifferent. You can't get
21 all the people to be happy.
22
23 I'm really sorry that you're unhappy with the solution we've put our
24 work into. But I'd really appreciate if you two stopped undermining it,
25 'spreading FUD' and accepted the fact that -- even if the eclass-based
26 solution didn't get a 'real consensus' -- yours wouldn't get even that
27 close to it.
28
29 And I'm sad that you can't keep it professional. I'm doing my best to
30 help you with multilib-portage. It's an out-of-tree project which is
31 not officially supported, yet I hack the eclass to keep it working.
32 And I don't get anything for it, really, just more blustering
33 [dictionary translation, meaning may have been lost].
34
35 That said, I don't know what the Council could or should do. Should
36 the Council be responsible for reading discussions and grabbing whether
37 there was a consensus or not? Or making one in the name of the whole
38 community?
39
40 Last but not least, I don't even know if there were *two* solutions
41 proposed. It seems a bit like it's between *a working solution now*,
42 and not doing anything and waiting till you get it anywhere near
43 official acceptance. Note that the timeframe and willingness of people
44 to work on it is an important point as well. And likeliness that
45 everything breaks apart when people touch multilib.eclass.
48 Best regards,
49 Michał Górny