From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 22:28:07
1 On 06/24/2013 12:59 AM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
2 > On 06/23/2013 05:28 PM, hasufell wrote:
3 > > @dberkholz
4 >
5 > > From your manifesto:
6 >
7 > >> I continue to believe that technical advances are, and should be,
8 > >> driven by individuals. Given our volunteer culture, a council can't
9 > >> force people to do things they don't want to do, but it can help
10 > >> to break up disputes and roadblocks, and make global decisions when
11 > >> needed.
12 >
13 > > Do you think that gentoo is consistent in it's behavior?
14 >
15 > > Should the council step in without any1 asking them if there are
16 > > changes about to happen that are a) global and b) highly controversial
17 > > discussed?
18 >
19 > > As an example: multilib. The council was not involved in that decision
20 > > between eclass vs multilib-portage. Since any1 is allowed to add
21 > > eclasses to the tree the decision was somehow implicit, without any
22 > > real consensus on what the course should be.
26 > - From http://devmanual.gentoo.org/eclass-writing/ :
27 >
28 > "Before committing a new eclass to the tree, it should be emailed to the
29 > gentoo-dev mailing list with a justification and a proposed
30 > implementation. Do not skip this step — sometimes a better
31 > implementation or an alternative which does not require a new eclass
32 > will be suggested."
33 >
34 > The dev manual doesn't believe this is implicit nor without any
35 > consensus. True, it doesn't ban you from adding a new eclass, but it
36 > doesn't say you can just go and randomly add new eclasses without
37 > discussion either.
38 >
39 > -Zero
42 I know the devmanual quite well. The example in it's procedure was a bit
43 more complex than you are describing, so I don't see how that adds anything.
44
45 People agreed that the eclass is fine, but there was no real consensus
46 about the question whether we actually want an eclass based solution.
47 You can't have both, because it does not make sense. At one point you
48 have to decide, council did nothing to aid in this heated (really
49 heated) discussion.