From: George Prowse <cokehabit@×××××.com>
To: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: A proposal to get out of this mess
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:27:26
Steve Long wrote:
> George Prowse wrote: >> I like the idea of a discussion of this kind and I applaud you for >> trying to start a discussion but you are unlikely to start any form of >> discussion here because it is not the forum for it. >> > I disagree: it's absolutely the right forum, since it's a non-technical/ > organisational issue that concerns all interested parties. Exactly the kind > of thing project was set up for.
Well of course it's the right place, just not if you want any genuine responses from the people who make the decisions.
> > You may be right that it won't change anything however; this is one of the > rare occasions (it's the only one I can actually think of tbh ;) where i'm > siding with the devs against the users (since the discussion is framed > along those lines), in that it's their choice to decide how and with whom > they want to work. > > drobbins' offer left a nasty taste in my mouth: one week, all his own > appointees, no information (beyond: "expect big changes"), no discussion. > > Er, no thanks? > > Maybe that's cos he's frustrated and doesn't want to waste time; it's just > not the kind of ultimatum I personally would ever accept. And since we > haven't had a Foundation since last summer, I really don't see the need to > be bullied into accepting. > > The software is still improving, and the herds are still feeding ebuilds > into the main tree. I just did a fresh install from 2007.0 and > *GENTOO STILL ROCKS!* >
I'd never heard about his offer until I got the previous email through and it seems very drastic and extremely unlikely that anyone will give it the time of day. I dont see what would really change though, Gentoo needs a president type and he seems like the only logical candidate. I also can't see why people would be worried about taking up his offer, I mean I can't see anything radical that would different apart from the management structure and that would result in some developers losing their ability to exert control over various parts. At the very least I would only consider his offer when I had some sort of information on the offer. Negotiations are whats needed, not an instant accept/decline -- gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list