From: "Manuel RĂ¼ger" <mrueg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Handbooks moving to the wiki
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 15:44:53
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 12.12.2014 16:30, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
5 > Hi all
6 >
7 > The last few days I have been spamming #gentoo-wiki with numerous
8 > edits, translation tagging, new pages, and so on, with the main
9 > goal to copy the current Gentoo Linux handbooks to the Gentoo Wiki.
10 > Before doing the last steps (i.e. updating links and marking the
11 > current handbooks as obsoleted) I thought about informing the
12 > broader development community about the change.
13 >
14 > You might ask "why move them to the wiki?" (or perhaps you just say
15 > "about time" - in that case ignore the next few paragraphs and jump
16 > immediately to "what is the result" further down in the mail ;-),
17 > well let me tell why.
18 >
19 > First of all, the Gentoo Handbooks were the only user-oriented
20 > documents that the Gentoo Documentation Project "manages" that were
21 > not on the Gentoo Wiki yet. And although 'back in the days' the
22 > choice for the XML-based documentation development was valid
23 > (offline development of documentation was a primary concern) times
24 > have changed, as well as documentation developer abilities.
25 >
26 > The need to train users into the dark corners of GuideXML (and the
27 > almost programmatic approach to the Gentoo Handbooks) pushes down
28 > hard on the team's growth. And that in essence is the second reason
29 > as well: the Gentoo Documentation Project is no longer the huge
30 > project it once was. We reduced from over 20 authors/editors to
31 > only one or two active members - and even those do not do it "full
32 > time" anymore. Moving towards a better known (and popular)
33 > documentation platform makes sense.
34 >
35 > Any request to update the handbook (we have a few bugs open on it)
36 > had to be taken by those few documentation developers, whereas with
37 > the move to the wiki, I hope that other developers would take up
38 > the opportunity to update the documentation themselves. Especially
39 > for the architecture teams who would like to update the Gentoo
40 > Handbooks with their specific installation instructions will this
41 > be a blessing (I hope). Also the developers in charge of the
42 > "additional sections" of the handbook, such as networking, can now
43 > help update and maintain the documentation.
44 >
45 > A third reason is that the current website runs an XSLT parser to
46 > transform the documentation into HTML. The Gentoo Handbook being in
47 > GuideXML kept on hindering any progress on the website development
48 > and future as it was a blocker for potential infrastructural
49 > changes. With the move to the Gentoo Wiki, this is one less concern
50 > to think about.
51 >
52 > Of course, consolidating all documentation (including the handbook)
53 > to the wiki provides a common platform for Gentoo's documentation
54 > development and single writing style. And it gives a universal look
55 > and feel to the documentation, instead of having two different
56 > views (GuideXML rendering and Wiki rendering look different), which
57 > hopefully puts a bit less confusion to the users.
58 >
59 > An advantage is also that the links to the Gentoo Handbook become a
60 > bit simpler. Consider the link to configuring GRUB2 for AMD64:
61 >
62 > Current handbook:
63 > https://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=10#doc_chap2
66 Wiki handbook:
67 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Bootloader#Default:_Using_GRUB2
68 >
69 > Although a tad longer, the link is much more readable, and when
70 > pasted on things like IRC users can immediately see what it is
71 > about.
72 >
73 > So, what is the result of this move?
74 >
75 > The various handbooks are available in their own namespace (with
76 > thanks to Alex Legler for creating it as well as supporting the
77 > move):
78 >
79 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Alpha
80 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
81 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:HPPA
82 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:IA64
83 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:MIPS
84 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:PPC
85 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:PPC64
86 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:SPARC
87 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86
88 >
89 > If I am not mistaken, these locations should be editable by
90 > developers and trusted contributors (and if not yet then that is
91 > the idea to implement).
92 >
93 > All handbooks use the same structure. In effect, there is lots of
94 > re-use of documentation snippets (as was the case with the Gentoo
95 > Handbooks in GuideXML). Although I did not implement the same
96 > "programming-like" documentation development as was done with the
97 > GuideXML ones, the wikified Gentoo Handbook uses transclusion
98 > (inclusion of other pages) and Semantic MediaWiki for the dynamic
99 > generation and changes of documentation.
100 >
101 > Unless people object heavily, I will start updating the GuideXML
102 > handbooks to redirect the users to the wiki handbooks, as well as
103 > update the links on the website and wiki articles.
104 >
105 > Note that, when moved, the translations might take some time to
106 > catch up. This is because the translated information (in GuideXML)
107 > cannot be easily moved towards the wiki (with the move, texts have
108 > been updated as well to reflect the wiki writing style), and
109 > because the wiki uses a translation extension that supports
110 > parallel translation development - but different than how GuideXML
111 > translations worked.
112 >
113 > Users interested in the "development" side (what are the reused
114 > parts and so on) can feed their lusts on
115 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Documentation/HandbookDevelopment
116 >
117 > I hope this is a start of many updates and improvements. Feedback
118 > is always welcome of course.
119 >
120 > With kind regards
121 >
122 > Sven Vermeulen aka SwifT
125 Hello Sven,
126
127 thanks for moving the handbooks to the wiki!
128
129 Just two things I noticed:
130 Do you know if it's possible to get the same "full view" as with prior
131 xml pages?
132 https://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?full=1
133
134 In addition it would be great if we can export full viewed handbooks
135 as pdf/epub. I guess mediawiki could support that via extensions. Do
136 you have any plans for that?
137
138 Cheers,
139