From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Handbooks moving to the wiki
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 17:00:29
1 On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 04:44:47PM +0100, Manuel Rüger wrote:
2 > Just two things I noticed:
3 > Do you know if it's possible to get the same "full view" as with prior
4 > xml pages?
5 > https://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?full=1
6
7 Possible? Perhaps, but it will not be as functional. With GuideXML we could
8 "programmatically" update links so that links between pages become a link
9 within a single page. With the wiki, this is no longer the case.
10
11 It is not too difficult to create a single-page "let's include all and
12 everything" if I can selectively ignore things (like the table of contents
13 and navigation), which is doable.
14
15 I'll think about it.
16
17 > In addition it would be great if we can export full viewed handbooks
18 > as pdf/epub. I guess mediawiki could support that via extensions. Do
19 > you have any plans for that?
20
21 We might focus in a later stage on the PDF/ePub generation like used by
22 wikibooks. However that needs to be weighted against the downside of
23 maintaining (and tracking security of) additional extensions in the wiki.
24
25 So yes, we might go towards that. But there are no exact plans on that yet.
26
27 Wkr,
28 Sven Vermeulen