From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council: Policy for Systemd units
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:18:01
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Tom Wijsman schrieb:
5 >>>> And if any other developer disagrees, he is welcome to make his
6 >>>> own xorg-server package that includes this patch.
7 >>>
8 >>> s/disagrees/doesn't care about our users/
9 >>>
10 >>> s/own/yet another/
11 >>>
12 >>> s/includes/introduces an additional step/
13 >
14 >> How about you make your points in whole sentences? That is easier to
15 >> reply to.
16 >
17 > You can easily integrate it, I don't like forking for no good reason.
18 >
19 > Do you have a reply instead of this ad hominem response?
20
21 After I apply your sed commands the sentence will read:
22 "And if any other developer doesn't care about our users, he is welcome to
23 make his yet another xorg-server package that introduces an additional step
24 this patch."
25 Please forgive me if I had trouble parsing this immediately.
26
27 The point is that x11 team has a long standing policy against
28 non-upstreamed patches. Even stronger for patches that upstream explicitly
29 rejected. I do think that qualifies as a good reason to reject patches like
30 the one from bug 462656.
31
32 Even so, if you can convince a team member that such a patch is still worth
33 maintaining then we may include it. But for patches that are only useful in
34 combination with proprietary drivers, the chances are slim.
35
36 >> USE flag masking is totally not related to this.
37 >
38 > If the solution is not related, your example problem is not related.
39 >
40 > But let me assume you have asked "How is USE flag masking related?"
41 > instead; well, if a proprietary driver is not yet compatible with a
42 > package then its VIDEO_CARDS expanded USE flag can be masked such that
43 > an older version will be considered by Portage. Works perfectly.
44
45 No, this just causes the flag to be disabled on upgrade, which makes the
46 driver package fall out of xorg-drivers dependencies and removed by next
47 - --depclean run. Unless I misunderstand you again, but xorg-drivers is the
48 only relevant package that has USE_EXPAND flags related to the proprietary
49 drivers.
50
51 > I don't see a group of users that hate unit files, please show me...
52
53 Saying that anybody here "hates" unit files would be a strawman argument.
54 There are users who don't want them on their system, and they said so on
55 this mailing list.
56
57 >>> Think about it, the size of the unit files installed take less space
58 >>> than the presence of the word systemd in the Portage tree does.
59 >
60 >> That has nothing to do with the current argument.
61 >
62 > This has a lot to do with the subject.
63
64 The reason *why* the aforementioned users don't want the systemd unit files
65 is mostly irrelevant. They don't want unit files and could not be convinced
66 otherwise. So if you care about them you help making it easy to achieve
67 what they want. Or even the default.
68
69 - From the philosophy page: "the tool is designed to reflect and transmit the
70 will of the user" so no restriction to a well-reasoned will.
73 Best regards,
74 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn