From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council: Policy for Systemd units
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:37:20
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:15:45 +0200
5 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
6
8 > Hash: SHA1
9 >
10 > Tom Wijsman schrieb:
11 > >> And if any other developer disagrees, he is welcome to make his
12 > >> own xorg-server package that includes this patch.
13 > >
14 > > s/disagrees/doesn't care about our users/
15 > >
16 > > s/own/yet another/
17 > >
18 > > s/includes/introduces an additional step/
19 >
20 > How about you make your points in whole sentences? That is easier to
21 > reply to.
22
23 You can easily integrate it, I don't like forking for no good reason.
24
25 Do you have a reply instead of this ad hominem response?
26
27 > >> This is not a problem for the X11 team, but one for the users that
28 > >> we care about, namely the ones who use the free/open source
29 > >> drivers. They would not see latest package versions in stable with
30 > >> latest features and bugfixes, until the proprietary drivers are
31 > >> compatible with them.
32 > >
33 > > I still don't see the problem, we have USE flag masking for this.
34 >
35 > USE flag masking is totally not related to this.
36
37 If the solution is not related, your example problem is not related.
38
39 But let me assume you have asked "How is USE flag masking related?"
40 instead; well, if a proprietary driver is not yet compatible with a
41 package then its VIDEO_CARDS expanded USE flag can be masked such that
42 an older version will be considered by Portage. Works perfectly.
43
44 > >> I don't ignore this. It describes Gentoo as tools which work for
45 > >> the goals of the user. So create the tools that are fine for your
46 > >> users. I will create those that are fine for mine, and they all
47 > >> can be part of Gentoo. The about or philosophy pages do not put an
48 > >> upper limit on the number of tools that can be in Gentoo.
49 > >
50 > > Since when is this conversation about the amount of tools?
51 > >
52 > > Don't pull things out of context.
53 >
54 > You said it increases hardness and inconsistency. I said that this is
55 > not necessarily the case when there is proper documentation.
56
57 Extra efforts aren't proper when you can instead avoid inconsistency;
58 instead of that simple integration, you end up writing yet another tool
59 which you have document, support (docs aren't perfect) and fix bugs for.
60
61 > >> yngwin is not alone in rejecting non-upstreamed systemd units in
62 > >> his packages, there are many users who don't want them either
63 > >> (whether that is a rational decision or not) and for whom this
64 > >> change is unwelcome. So these are the users that he cares about.
65 > >
66 > > We've been to that argument already, it was found to be non-sense...
67 >
68 > Nonsense or not, it is users who have that desire (however irrational
69 > that may be) and either you care about them or not.
70
71 People that think desires of our users are irrational should state that
72 and give professional reasoning; on the other hand, developers that
73 oppose shouldn't start yelling right away and ask for clarifications.
74
75 The lack of interest from both sides of such arguments is problematic.
76
77 I hope to see these MLs turn into something more constructive; it
78 shouldn't be a place where some random people just vent against the
79 masses for their own good, the majority isn't going to agree anyway.
80
81 I don't see a group of users that hate unit files, please show me...
82
83 > > Think about it, the size of the unit files installed take less
84 > > space than the presence of the word systemd in the Portage tree
85 > > does.
86 >
87 > That has nothing to do with the current argument.
88
89 This has a lot to do with the subject.
90
91 - --
92 With kind regards,
93
94 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
95 Gentoo Developer
96
97 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
98 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
99 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D