From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council: Policy for Systemd units
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 16:15:32
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Tom Wijsman schrieb:
5 >> And if any other developer disagrees, he is welcome to make his own
6 >> xorg-server package that includes this patch.
7 >
8 > s/disagrees/doesn't care about our users/
9 >
10 > s/own/yet another/
11 >
12 > s/includes/introduces an additional step/
13
14 How about you make your points in whole sentences? That is easier to reply to.
15
16 >> This is not a problem for the X11 team, but one for the users that we
17 >> care about, namely the ones who use the free/open source drivers.
18 >> They would not see latest package versions in stable with latest
19 >> features and bugfixes, until the proprietary drivers are compatible
20 >> with them.
21 >
22 > I still don't see the problem, we have USE flag masking for this.
23
24 USE flag masking is totally not related to this.
25
26 >> I don't hate that group of users, I just don't care about them. I do
27 >> not do anything to deliberately sabotage their choice to use blobs,
28 >> but I to put it in the words of a well-known kernel developer[2]: I
29 >> refuse to tie my hands behind my back for them. If they use blobs, it
30 >> is their problem.
31 >
32 > Yet, you don't have to do anything for them; so, why would you bother?
33
34 I do things for them that I don't have to (like the occasional proxy commit
35 for ati-drivers). But when it comes to free/open source x11 packages I
36 indeed don't bother.
37
38 >> I don't ignore this. It describes Gentoo as tools which work for the
39 >> goals of the user. So create the tools that are fine for your users.
40 >> I will create those that are fine for mine, and they all can be part
41 >> of Gentoo. The about or philosophy pages do not put an upper limit on
42 >> the number of tools that can be in Gentoo.
43 >
44 > Since when is this conversation about the amount of tools?
45 >
46 > Don't pull things out of context.
47
48 My argument that a "no mandatory caring about other users" policy does not
49 hinder the mission of Gentoo in any way. You said it increases hardness and
50 inconsistency. I said that this is not necessarily the case when there is
51 proper documentation, and besides not contrary to any goal stated in the
52 about or philosophy pages.
53
54 >>>> Interference does happen, I did not claim otherwise.
55 >>>
56 >>> You claimed it to be kept minimum; that's either silence or
57 >>> ignorance.
58 >>
59 >> I said it needs to be kept to the *necessary* minimum. That is for
60 >> example QA rules like observing visibility requirements, no
61 >> substantial changes to stable packages, technical implementation of
62 >> legal rules like RESTRICT for packages with problematic license, and
63 >> so on.
64 >
65 > And those rules are irrelevant to this conversation, why recall them?
66
67 Because you too said something about minimum, I wanted to ensure that we
68 talk about the same minimum.
69
70 >> yngwin is not alone in rejecting non-upstreamed systemd units in his
71 >> packages, there are many users who don't want them either (whether
72 >> that is a rational decision or not) and for whom this change is
73 >> unwelcome. So these are the users that he cares about.
74 >
75 > We've been to that argument already, it was found to be non-sense...
76
77 Nonsense or not, it is users who have that desire (however irrational that
78 may be) and either you care about them or not.
79
80 > Think about it, the size of the unit files installed take less space
81 > than the presence of the word systemd in the Portage tree does.
82
83 That has nothing to do with the current argument.
86 Best regards,
87 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
88