From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 14:20:27
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 04/10/2013 03:40 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 15:16:58 +0200 hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >
8 >> It has not, because it's not a problem on PM level.
9 >
10 > So that environment file is magic that comes from nowhere?
11
12 That environment file saves the whole environment including user
13 settings. How does that fit the idea I just posted here? It does not.
14
15 Parts of the code could probably be used, but again: this is not a PM
16 problem.
19 >> To ensure that code _behind_ a stable ebuild does not change.
20 >
21 > Eclasses that do not evolve, that's a new thing. They'll have to
22 > eventually evolve anyway, or are we putting a halt to innovation?
23
24 What? You seem to misunderstand what I am saying. I am talking about
25 something similar to autoconf which generates a configure file
26 depending on the present state of macros/m4 files etc.
27
28 This does not halt eclass development in any way and would only apply
29 to _stable_ ebuilds.
32 >> EAPI versions already try to solve this and that's why we have
33 >> EAPI confusion.
34 >
35 > What exactly is EAPI confusion? If everyone just uses the latest
36 > one and stop holding on to EAPI 0 you wouldn't have any kind of
37 > confusion, this is what deprecation of the older EAPIs is all
38 > about.
39
40 EAPI confusion is the amount of EAPIs a new developer has to know in
41 order to understand ebuilds. I am not arguing egainst EAPIs here. This
42 is just about eclasses.
45 >> Now we want to add eclass confusion by introducing versions for
46 >> them too?
47 >
48 > Eclasses eventually end up being legacy code because the needs and
49 > usage of them changes over time; so, yes, we will want to write
50 > new versions of them and avoid confusion by dropping the older
51 > ones. You see the same happen with programming libraries and other
52 > fields...
53 >
54 >> It's like you would "statically link" the eclasses if that makes
55 >> it more clear what I am talking about.
56 >
57 > Ugh, that sounds like http://sta.li/
58
59 That is totally unrelated.
62 >> It does not ignore specification. It complies with specification.
63 >> The problem is if it can be implemented sanely.
64 >
65 > How is your "ignore PMS" suggestion complying with the PMS? It is
66 > not.
67
68 You seem to misunderstand my idea. Eclasses are optional helper
69 classes. PMS does not say you must use this or that eclass. I could
70 just ignore all eclasses and write my own custom function in my
71 ebuild. That is valid from PMS point of view, even if QA well yell at
72 me for that (for good reason).