From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:41:58
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 15:16:58 +0200
5 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
6
7 > It has not, because it's not a problem on PM level.
8
9 So that environment file is magic that comes from nowhere?
10
11 > To ensure that code _behind_ a stable ebuild does not change.
12
13 Eclasses that do not evolve, that's a new thing. They'll have to
14 eventually evolve anyway, or are we putting a halt to innovation?
15
16 > EAPI versions already try to solve this and that's why we have EAPI
17 > confusion.
18
19 What exactly is EAPI confusion? If everyone just uses the latest one and
20 stop holding on to EAPI 0 you wouldn't have any kind of confusion, this
21 is what deprecation of the older EAPIs is all about.
22
23 > Now we want to add eclass confusion by introducing versions for them
24 > too?
25
26 Eclasses eventually end up being legacy code because the needs and
27 usage of them changes over time; so, yes, we will want to write new
28 versions of them and avoid confusion by dropping the older ones. You
29 see the same happen with programming libraries and other fields...
30
31 > It's like you would "statically link" the eclasses if that makes it
32 > more clear what I am talking about.
33
34 Ugh, that sounds like http://sta.li/
35
36 Statically linking is all shiny, but how does it solve the problem?
37
38 > It does not ignore specification. It complies with specification. The
39 > problem is if it can be implemented sanely.
40
41 How is your "ignore PMS" suggestion complying with the PMS? It is not.
42
43 The problem is not the implementation, but whether to re-implement it.
44 We're talking about one eclass and some packages here, not the tree;
45 therefore it be a waste of effort time to write this tool, better spend
46 on actually dealing with the problem this thread tries to address.
47
48 It ignores PMS, it ignores the fact it is legacy code, it ignores that
49 it blocks deprecation of the EAPI, it breaks easily; the list goes on.
50
51 - --
52 With kind regards,
53
54 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
55 Gentoo Developer
56
57 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
58 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
59 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D