From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] On the way Devrel is constituted
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 22:20:00
1 On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:41:17PM +0200, hasufell wrote:
2 > On 06/19/2013 10:43 PM, Petteri R¦ty wrote:
3 > > On 19.6.2013 23.18, hasufell wrote:
4 > >> What is a possible solution? Let the council elect all members.
5 > >> That way the power still comes from the dev community, although
6 > >> they do not vote devrel directly. The council should vote
7 > >> anonymously, so that no connection between council member and
8 > >> elected devrel member can be drawn which could otherwise affect
9 > >> the election of the council. This system should prevent people
10 > >> from thinking two steps ahead when voting the council.
11 > >>
12 > >
13 > > The council can already do that if they so choose. Granted if this
14 > > process was made explicit it could have some influence on the
15 > > turnover. In practice so far oversight has not been a problem
16 > > (though since for quite a few years I have been part of both bodies
17 > > the two have been quite connected).
20 > If they choose... that means the current form of control over devrel
21 > is only of a _reactive_ nature. That nature is also necessary, but
22 > that is not how "control" is defined in the context I was explaining
23 > in the first post.
24 >
25 > What happens if power has been abused and damage is already done? The
26 > council can just pick up the pieces then, revert decisions (if
27 > possible) and try to deescalate.
28 > Then people will ask... who is responsible? Why was there no explicit
29 > election?
30 > That might even lead to devrel losing respect. People will think they
31 > just have that power because they came first.
32 > It's not just about saying retroactively that someone wasn't fit for
33 > devrel after he messed up, it's about saying who IS fit. Then people
34 > know why that person got that kind of authority.
35
36 who is "fit" is always going to be subjective. is it just someone who
37 has been in gentoo for a while? is it someone who has had professional
38 experience in conflict resolution e.g. a manager?
39
40 You aren't going to be able to detect who might abuse power until after
41 it is done, so I don't really see a way to guarantee that a scenario
42 like that will never happen.
43
44 > Also... we still don't have any rotation, except when devs resign from
45 > that project.
46
47 Rotation is another issue entirely. Do we want forced rotation? Do we
48 want to force people to resign from devrel after x amount of time?
49
50 > Another thing: what do we do if devrel blocks actions against it's own
51 > members? Because that's what gentoo projects have partly evolved
52 > into... a group of buddies. I don't have much of a problem with that
53 > in general, as it can improve effectivenes from some standpoints, but
54 > this is not about a regular project.
55
56 The council can override anything devrel does, including forcing
57 someone off of devrel if they think that person has gotten out of line,
58 so I don't see a problem here.
59
60 > I don't even claim that current devrel is not fit or that they just
61 > form their group of buddies, but why should we not try to minimize
62 > those possibilities?
63 >
64 > If we want them to use the sledgehammer, it should be clear who gets
65 > that sledgehammer and why. Make it explicit, rule out uncertainties.
66 > Rotate that role, so people don't lose focus.
67
68 That is done, the lead gets to use the sledgehammer under certain
69 circumstances [1], and the lead is selected by the project members
70 yearly under glep 39 just like any project.
71
72 William
73
74 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/policy.xml