From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] On the way Devrel is constituted
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:41:26
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 06/19/2013 10:43 PM, Petteri R¦ty wrote:
5 > On 19.6.2013 23.18, hasufell wrote:
6 >> While I appreciate devrel being more active in serious situations
7 >> (I actually proposed that in another thread), I question the way
8 >> Devrel is constituted.
9 >>
10 >> How was devrel formed? Who started it? What's the procedure of
11 >> getting in?
14 > The project is old:
15 >
16 > revision 1.1 date: 2003-07-14 00:49:03 +0300; author: seemant;
17 > state: Exp; first version of project description page
18 >
19 > While I have been here for a better part of the decade, older farts
20 > (in dev time) are needed to comment on who started it.
23 >> What is a possible solution? Let the council elect all members.
24 >> That way the power still comes from the dev community, although
25 >> they do not vote devrel directly. The council should vote
26 >> anonymously, so that no connection between council member and
27 >> elected devrel member can be drawn which could otherwise affect
28 >> the election of the council. This system should prevent people
29 >> from thinking two steps ahead when voting the council.
32 > The council can already do that if they so choose. Granted if this
33 > process was made explicit it could have some influence on the
34 > turnover. In practice so far oversight has not been a problem
35 > (though since for quite a few years I have been part of both bodies
36 > the two have been quite connected).
39 If they choose... that means the current form of control over devrel
40 is only of a _reactive_ nature. That nature is also necessary, but
41 that is not how "control" is defined in the context I was explaining
42 in the first post.
43
44 What happens if power has been abused and damage is already done? The
45 council can just pick up the pieces then, revert decisions (if
46 possible) and try to deescalate.
47 Then people will ask... who is responsible? Why was there no explicit
48 election?
49 That might even lead to devrel losing respect. People will think they
50 just have that power because they came first.
51 It's not just about saying retroactively that someone wasn't fit for
52 devrel after he messed up, it's about saying who IS fit. Then people
53 know why that person got that kind of authority.
54
55 Also... we still don't have any rotation, except when devs resign from
56 that project.
57
58 Another thing: what do we do if devrel blocks actions against it's own
59 members? Because that's what gentoo projects have partly evolved
60 into... a group of buddies. I don't have much of a problem with that
61 in general, as it can improve effectivenes from some standpoints, but
62 this is not about a regular project.
63 I don't even claim that current devrel is not fit or that they just
64 form their group of buddies, but why should we not try to minimize
65 those possibilities?
66
67 If we want them to use the sledgehammer, it should be clear who gets
68 that sledgehammer and why. Make it explicit, rule out uncertainties.
69 Rotate that role, so people don't lose focus.