From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo as a team effort
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 04:20:57
1 On 6/15/13 5:15 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Well, we have debated about everything to death, and independent of the
3 > technical details and of the issue at hand it always boils down to the same
4 > non-technical points:
5
6 Thanks for raising this topic. I think this worthwhile, and I see Gentoo
7 (and any other distro or even FOSS project) as collaborative team effort.
8
9 Things you can do alone as an individual are rather limited IMHO.
10
11 > * Do you see yourself as "maintainer of package X", or do you see yourself as
12 > "maintainer of package X which is a part of Gentoo"?
13
14 co-maintainer of package X which is a part of Gentoo. I'd like to thank
15 here my team-mates from the Gentoo Chromium team and every other Gentoo
16 developer who has contributed to the packages I maintain.
17
18 > * How many compromises are you willing to accept to provide the best user
19 > experience?
20
21 I would not compromise 95% users' experience for a vocal minority users'
22 experience, or at a risk of the package becoming significantly harder to
23 test or maintain.
24
25 Other than that, I'm trying to be accommodating and flexible when
26 receiving feedback about packages I maintain.
27
28 > * How many compromises are you willing to accept to help your colleague
29 > developers?
30
31 Similar thing here. I'm willing to respect decisions made according to
32 agreed-upon process even if I don't like them (except for really severe
33 cases), of course providing feedback as I see appropriate. I'm willing
34 to sacrifice my personal convenience if I know this is good for the
35 project as a whole.
36
37 > In my personal opinion, it's worthwhile to cooperate and put effort into
38 > Gentoo to improve the distribution as a whole. It is NOT worthwhile to focus
39 > on isolated solutions, refuse to cooperate with others, and waste energy on
40 > turf wars.
41
42 +1
43
44 I also believe there will always be situations where goals or
45 requirements of various people clash, and we need to learn to deal with
46 them. Forks and other kinds of "isolated solutions" have their place,
47 but it's a last resort rather than the first reflex.
48
49 Refusing to cooperate or turf wars is actively hostile and harmful to
50 the project, and it is important for the health of our community not to
51 allow these behaviors.
52
53 Paweł