From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council: Policy for Systemd units
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 03:12:11
1 On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 12 June 2013 22:52, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> What all of this really amounts to is a bunch of people who don't want
4 >> to work together trying to legally apply the rules to accomplish their
5 >> personal goals, whatever they may be.
6 >
7 > "Do what I say, or I will take over your package and do it anyway" is
8 > a really funny way of working together...
9 >
10 > In most places I know this would be called bullying. I don't want to
11 > spend my free time on a project that condones that kind of behaviour.
12
13 What part of this is bullying? Asking nicely and then assuming
14 responsibility for a change if there is an objection? Or, saying that
15 somebody else is not welcome to make their additions to a package no
16 matter what? Adding a unit file isn't going to cause you harm, and if
17 you feel otherwise you can always ask the Council for a ruling.
18
19 Maintainers MAINTAIN packages, they don't own them. They're expected
20 to cooperate with other projects, and if they're going to point at the
21 rules to justify blocking work others are doing they shouldn't be
22 surprised if others find rules to point at as well.
23
24 Rich