From: IAN DELANEY <della5@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Temporary DevRel actions for CoC violations
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 07:23:31
1 On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 00:19:47 +0100
2 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
5 > No it is not accurate. You need to read the threads again. For
6 > example, nobody ever said that
7 > we will punish people for calling a software "crap". Please read more
8 > carefully what I wrote.
9 > I also said that we will warn people before we kick them out. Again,
10 > please read more carefully what
11 > I wrote before.
12
13 I'd like to pitch in here possibly in the magnitude of a grenade,
14 don't really know, although I'm a little late to this party. the bulk
15 of this I've copied from an attempt over a week ago which didn't make
16 it thru to project ML, but it mostly pertinent to the topic at hand.
17 It prob. belongs as a reply to the opening thread by Marcos.
18
19 "
20 To attempt a succinct summary here (an extended one will lose everyone),
21 from the body of knowledge I gained from back in the day, sure people's
22 basic personal traits are formed and set for life at various
23 CRITICAL stages of youth, and the pages once writ aren't subject to
24 being re-written. Our admins and devs are adults, predominantly very
25 young adults with an established persona and values at entry to gentoo.
26
27 The task here isn't to change the person at their core. If anyone is
28 'trained' to do that it's a psycho-analyst, not a gentoo dev or a
29 Foundation member. The task here is to change that relatively
30 thin shell that encompasses a person, namely outward behaviour.
31
32 > If you need a slap to make you behave
33 > nicely, then this is not going to work in the long-term. And you can't
34 > improve a distribution technical wise, if you have people who can't
35 > work together.
36 > - We've been requesting this for a very very long time, yet 2 days ago
37 > we had another incident. So I'd say, no, we can't.
38
39 Snide, aggressive, hostile, insolent remarks wrapped in a common
40 package of abuse and oft used 4 letter expletives are the topic at hand
41 here I gather, and I don't know offhand what the recent incident is, but
42 in the light of lxnay's extended highlighting of the subject and his
43 declaration to collect his marbles and wander back home, for all the
44 back slapping and encouraging to stick around because you're a good
45 'guy' / 'bloke' 'citizen', dev .. ' ' .., still the display of brash
46 ignorance carries on it seems with impunity, undented, unaddressed,
47 unabated, until now...........
48
49 This isn't a case of managing the unmanageable, however its management
50 frankly cries out for management skills that are simply not in the
51 personal toolboxes of most who are in any way vaguely authorised and
52 therefore in a position to 'pounce' on those of us who come out with
53 naughty behaviour. To sketch out a rather black or bleak picture of
54 this whole affair, assuming NeddySeagoon's depiction of devs (well and
55 developer or admin personnel) as predominantly alpha males with
56 retarded social skills, what we have here in >95% of cases is a case of
57 1 alpha male with retarded social skills made responsible for managing /
58 reeling naughty outward behaviour of an alpha male with retarded
59 social skills. Grief! No wonder lxnay buckled!!
60
61 This outward behaviour is INDEED changeable, and hence manageable.
62
63 in case you missed that
64
65 This outward behaviour is INDEED changeable, and hence manageable.
66 Outward behaviour is changeable, modifiable, malleable even. Modifying
67 behaviour is for cryin' out loud a whole stream of the science known as
68 psychology. Its technicians are termed behaviourists.
69 Now for the bad news. Due to the rampant incidence of the above, we
70 can anticipate this behaviour management coming to pass in our
71 precious gentoo haven just as sure as we can expect pigs to sprout
72 wings and fly.
73
74 So despite my assertion that hwoarang's statement is erred in fact (a
75 prior thread but never mind), it kind of becomes an utterly moot point
76 since the formula to achieve this end requires, well, behaviourists.
77 Let's invite all such duplicate qualified devs to submit their
78 nominations for executing the CoC and ., eeer, oh bump, damn those
79 flying pigs, got me right in the head.
80
81 If there is any positive slant to this, my guess is that it's that
82 behaviourists don't hold a monopoly on how to talk someone into finally
83 gaining an insight that 'they're not the messiah, they're but very
84 naughty boys'. So much of psychology has its roots in real life, hence
85 many of the behaviourist's tools are to be found in the toolboxes of
86 Joey Blogs with a cool composure and a mature head. This kind of
87 maturity is in fact not confined to those experiencing the onset of
88 greyed or absent hair, but also in some quick developers who are still
89 in the category oft termed 'youngens', well, young adults.
90
91 My experience of these outbursts of slander come insolence lead me to
92 assert that;
93 1. The chief protagonists are also the chief outstanding
94 contributors in gentoo,
95 2. They piously misbelieve that they have earned a right to throw out a
96 series of 1 liner put downs at whim without hesitation since they have
97 earned impunity by holding anyone who dares rebutt them to ransom by
98 virtue of their prolific contribution history, therefore
99 3. despite being technical intellects, they are naively ignorant of how
100 wrong they are in the prior assertions. They are, in a word, ignorant.
101
102 We're not talking rapists and robbers behaviour, we're talking 'naughty
103 talking'. Get a grip. This relatively 'minor' level of erroneous /
104 aberrant behaviour surely falls into the category of unlearning what
105 they internalised as 'ok / acceptable / normative' and re-learning
106 higher social standards / norms. Any mature heads out there??????
107 "
108 ------------------------------------------------
109
110 I'd like to propose a longer term method of this real issue. The key
111 word is mentor. The aspect of rebuttal by punishment leaves a sour
112 taste in everyone's mouth. I don't think that a punishment response
113 here is the catchall fix, rather, an involuntary internship of
114 offenders to one with a mature head. On devrel becoming notified and
115 becoming aware of a dev being an offender, devrel then assesses and
116 reviews the 'offensive data' and then can elect to put the dev under
117 the supervision of one with a mature head, a new level mentor. Picking
118 them is the hard part.
119
120 Applying a simple principle of behaviourist theory, the rights of the
121 dev are switched from being open slather, e.g. on all MLs, to you can't
122 submit to this ML until your intended submission is vetted and
123 approved by the ALLOCATED mentor. He has his wings clipped. Clipping
124 wings in irc channels would be more difficult really. Commit rights I
125 don't see as an apt target to be clipped since commits are purely
126 technical data.
127
128 The process here is to make an offender accountable for being (socially
129 not technically) an ignorant dimwit shooting and shouting without
130 due cause. He (there are no shes) then need earn his way back to a
131 status of a full wing spread to re-use my analogy.
132
133 Offensive remarks are basically remarks put in a clumsy hostile manner
134 and I reckon mostly without even knowing it. Offensive is not cast in
135 stone but is open to perception of the remark, so there is no choice
136 here but to deal with the many shades of grey.
137
138 There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat, and the task of the
139 mentor is essentially to take on the involuntary and disgruntled
140 mentoree and thrash out some come all of these many other ways that the
141 remark can be revised re-worked, re-packaged and re-presented to the
142 offendee minus its ugly uncalled for insolence and unwelcome baggage.
143 Rationale; level headed valid feedback, back peddle on fundamental
144 approach to expressing oneself, unlearn, re-learn, learn more.
145 done
146 The offendee's new level mentoreeship finishes when and only when agreed
147 upon by the mentor unilaterally or in consensus with those of devrel.
148
149 and that's the short version. Now for the flack.
152 kind regards
153
154 Ian Delaney