From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Temporary DevRel actions for CoC violations
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 23:20:30
1 On 20 June 2013 22:34, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Markos Chandras schrieb:
6 >> In the meantime, to prevent further escalations, I will use my lead
7 >> powers to request immediate bans whenever I see one of you violate the
8 >> CoC[2] and ignore the previous warnings.
9 >>
10 >> My fellow developers, it's time you finally realize that you are part of
11 >> a community and you must learn to behave and respect each other even if
12 >> you have different technical views. We are all people sharing a common
13 >> interest: Gentoo.
14 >
15 > So, gathering some of the responses I tried to draw a complete picture of
16 > what is going to happen (where references are not publicly archived, I
17 > supplied their Message-ID):
18 >
19 > Enforcement of CoC will be proactive, not reactive[0,1]. This in my
20 > understanding means that devrel will not wait for reports of CoC
21 > violations. Instead, they or their assistants will be policing mailing
22 > lists and bugzilla[2] for infractions, and make an example of the first
23 > developer who transgresses the CoC[3].
24 >
25 > Bannable offenses will not be limited to direct personal insults, but also
26 > include trolling, being judgmental[4], labeling proposals or software as
27 > "crap"[5], saying things that could be seen as offensive in certain
28 > cultures or to people with certain personality traits[6], as well as making
29 > non-constructive statements[7].
30 >
31 > To me this is a very grim picture. If hope it is not accurate, but if it is
32 > I hereby speak out against this. I'd like to see any emergency action
33 > limited to response to personal attacks and insults, and any stricter rules
34 > set only in place after Council decision.
38 No it is not accurate. You need to read the threads again. For
39 example, nobody ever said that
40 we will punish people for calling a software "crap". Please read more
41 carefully what I wrote.
42 I also said that we will warn people before we kick them out. Again,
43 please read more carefully what
44 I wrote before.
47 Regards,
48 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
49 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang