From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Agenda for Gentoo Council meeting on 2014-02-25
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:59:37
1 On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 > How does that work for packages eg. libcanberra where USE="gtk3" is required
3 > to be enabled for eg. GNOME 3.x and other modern GTK+-3.x applications,
4 > but at the same time user is running Xfce which needs it's older
5 > GTK+-2.x based library?
6 > Then setting USE="gtk2 gtk3" to get the best preferred toolkit breaks
7 > the default
8 > USE flags of getting Xfce emerged.
9 > And the plain 'desktop' is supposed to guarantee out-of-box installation
10 > of Xfce, while
11 > not dimishing features from other other applications that might use the
12 > newer libcanberra
13 > library.
14
15 I might be missing something in your argument. Looking at libcanberra
16 it has IUSE="+gtk +gtk3" so users are getting both versions by default
17 already, and that wouldn't change.
18
19 I do appreciate that there is a distinction between providing support
20 for gtk2/3 and consuming it, and that there may be value in
21 recognizing that in general.
22
23 If I missed anything you wanted to point out please let me know. My
24 intent here is to understand your concerns, not dismiss them out of
25 hand.
26
27 Rich