From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Agenda for Gentoo Council meeting on 2014-02-25
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:05:34
1 On 25/02/14 18:41, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> On 25/02/14 18:12, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> I don't see any concerns on the list that weren't addressed already.
5 >>> USE=gtk2 means build gtk2 support
6 >>> USE=gtk3 means build gtk3 support
7 >>> USE="gtk2 gtk3" means build support for whichever version the
8 >>> maintainer thinks is better (which is what USE=gtk meant a week ago)
9 >> And how does one select 'the best supported GTK+ for this application,
10 >> selected by the package's maintainer.' ?
11 > You say USE="gtk2 gtk3" and the ebuild selects the preferred one if
12 > both flags are specified?
13 >
14 > Ulrich
15
16 How does that work for packages eg. libcanberra where USE="gtk3" is required
17 to be enabled for eg. GNOME 3.x and other modern GTK+-3.x applications,
18 but at the same time user is running Xfce which needs it's older
19 GTK+-2.x based library?
20 Then setting USE="gtk2 gtk3" to get the best preferred toolkit breaks
21 the default
22 USE flags of getting Xfce emerged.
23 And the plain 'desktop' is supposed to guarantee out-of-box installation
24 of Xfce, while
25 not dimishing features from other other applications that might use the
26 newer libcanberra
27 library.
28
29 Seriously, the GNOME guideline works, none of the newly suggested ways
30 work. No suprise there,
31 since it was vetter for months when it was in fact a topic, and we are
32 way past that.
33 The Gentoo Xfce team gives full support for the estabilished GNOME
34 guideline for the GTK+
35 migration.
36
37 - Samuli