From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ChangeLog generation - continued discussions
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:20:23
1 On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:01:07AM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > I would like to put an additional issue on the table which I encountered
4 > while implementing fully from CVS generated ChangeLogs for the Prefix
5 > rsync tree.
6 [snip]
7 And all of this is impacted by how we do thin manifests and commit
8 signing.
9
10 Thin manifests are those that contain ONLY entries for files not covered
11 by another (direct or indirect) hash in the VCS. Git's use of SHA1
12 allows a conversion from Git+thin Manifest to classical Manifest2.
13
14 Commit signing has a few implications/side-effects:
15 - commits are signed so Manifests are NOT signed anymore.
16 - During the conversion to classical Manifest2, we need to create
17 automated signatures (see the tree-signing GLEPs for MetaManifest).
18 - As a side advantage of the automated Manifests/signatures, we can use
19 the Manifest2 changes proposed in the tree-signing GLEPs to cover ALL
20 of the profiles and eclasses.
21
22 I'm going to be away Thursday till Monday, so the lack of any further
23 impact from me doesn't mean I don't have an opinion, rather just that
24 I'm away from the Internet.
27 Robin Hugh Johnson
28 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
29 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
30 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85