From: Daniel Butzu <dbutzu@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: A proposal to get out of this mess
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:54:23
On 1/20/08, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:

> > Daniel, > > If you research the time line you will find posts on -nfp that indicate > that the foundation problem was being raised within Gentoo before > drobbins infamous blog post. > > As some/all of the assets that were supposed to transfer to the > foundation were still owned by drobbins, its likely (this is > speculation on my part) that someone was talking to him about > completing the transfer. It follows that he knew what was going on with > respect to resolving the gentoo foundation issue *before* he made his > blog post. > > That backs up what Steve Long is saying. > > Incidently, the Foundation is a peculiarly USA legal device. So its > important in the USA only. Its existence (or not) only changes the way > Gentoos assets are owned. It does not affect the way the technical part > of Gentoo operates. Indeed, as a part of his leaving Gentoo, drobbins > set up the council and foundation as separate bodies. Its a bit of a > mystery why he needs control of both bodies to resolve what is purely a > foundation issue. > > - --
Roy, Thank you for these details. However, I think there is a need for a clarification, especially coming from my side. I wasn't targeting with what I said the legal status of the Foundation, and not even D. Robbins who is the central character of this story. It's too bad that some people jump into a fight position but maybe this is understandable too, given the conditions. I was refering to the fact that, judging by what I saw happening especially on the forums these days, there may be some real feeling of unsatisfaction into the community, or at least into a part of it. Maybe we are looking into a wrong direction. The paperwork "drama" might not be the most important issue here, even though it may be the one that triggered all the thing. Looking at what the users posted, some of them seem to be disappointed by the technical matters they encountered over years, and some other by the social climate into the community and they way it evolved. Now I find it unlikely that this feeling was caused entirely by a blog post, or at least not to that extent. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am. Regards, Daniel -- gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list