From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] The mis-concept of "slacking" in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:46:46
1 On 6/16/10 5:54 AM, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > As far as I know most if not all Gentoo developers do unpaid voluntary
3 > work in and for Gentoo. So every single minute a Gentoo developer puts
4 > into Gentoo is a gift, incontrast to understanding every other minute a
5 > stolen one. How come such a wrong concept even made it into the process
6 > of the council? Officially being marked as a slacker? Is that the only
7 > way to ensure an active council?
8
9 I think it's confusing you mention the council here. Council is there to
10 make decisions. If people miss the meetings, we can't make decisions.
11
12 Also, note that a council member can be proxied by other developer.
13
14 > To get this mis-concept out again I need your help.
15 > There is no such thing as slacking in Gentoo - no matter how many weeks
16 > you ran without commits. It's time to get this understanding back to
17 > its healthy counterpart.
18
19 Could you explain more? Is it about people retiring because of that?
20
21 If so, then I agree we should permit some "leaves of absence" or maybe
22 even "sabbaticals" to keep talented people in the project, while
23 allowing them to rest.
24
25 Also, one can return after retiring.
26