From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] The mis-concept of "slacking" in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:29:02
>> To get this mis-concept out again I need your help. >> There is no such thing as slacking in Gentoo - no matter how many weeks >> you ran without commits. It's time to get this understanding back to >> its healthy counterpart. >> >
I'm not sure what problem you are trying to tackle. The way I see it, there are a few types of "slacker" status. There are those who are just plain busy, and can't respond in a timely manner due to real-life issues. Then there are a group who just don't have time for Gentoo as a regular maintenance task anymore, but still participate in discussions, development, etc. Then there's the last group who are completely unresponsive and inactive -- these are the ones that are real blockers. I don't like the idea of pretending there's no such thing as slacking, because there is. We do have a practical problem (though I don't know how serious it is). We have healthy roll calls in some herds, but the developers are in a certain range of active to unresponsive. When the herd is filled up, this gives developers and users the impression that it *should* be well tendered, but that may not be the case. Steve