From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 23:40:59
1 On 04/01/2014 12:00 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 >>
3 >> I really wish that devs would get over their differences and just talk
4 >> about their ideas. You don't need anybody's "permission" to do many
5 >> things around here. That doesn't mean that it isn't nice (and more
6 >> importantly wise) to at least ask for some feedback before striking
7 >> off on your own.
8 >
9 > The problem here is that 'to at least ask for some feedback' seems to
10 > mean 'it must
11 > be discussed on the gentoo-dev ML' for some people, even if the feedback
12 > required
13 > has already been given elsewhere by good number of developers (like IRC)
14 >
15 > - Samuli
18 The advantage of persistent and common channels is that other people are
19 informed and it's archived.
20
21 A discussion you had somewhere else, as far as I (and surely others) are
22 concerned, didn't happen. You can't reference it in the future because
23 it's not archived, and people will be upset because you actively worked
24 around the established communication paths to avoid them.
25
26 Sooo ... just drop a message here of what you intend to do, with a short
27 rationale maybe, and then there'll be less people being upset because
28 you don't communicate (in the right channels)
29
30 Merci,
31
32 Patrick