From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council: Policy for Systemd units
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 22:15:11
1 Tom Wijsman schrieb:
2
3 > Oh, and not to forget about X-openrc, X-cron, X-..., ... and so on.
4
5 X-selinux if you want an example of what is currently in tree.
6
7 > Putting the maintenance burden on users is the worst thing we can do.
8
9 Users have no extra maintenance burden in this case. Users have to make
10 informed decisions, which is something they have to do all the time
11 anyway when using Gentoo.
12
13 >> I believe QA has no authority to (functionally) change packages,
14 >> although they can p.mask whatever they consider unacceptable.
15 >
16 > Define "unacceptable", maybe they'll mask the X-whatever packages in the
17 > future because it has turned into a mess; such a mess we can't easily
18 > migrate away from, because we first have to start another 5 threads...
19
20 IIRC, QA needs no formal justification for masking a package.
21
22 >> This is something I fundamentally do not agree with. Gentoo is not a
23 >> team that works together.
24 >
25 > It's not like in a sports game, but we are people working together; we
26 > may not pursue the same thing, but we should pursue what is best for
27 > our users. Whatever way you go, the users will end up experiencing it.
28
29 You are free to pursue what you think is best for any particular group
30 of users that you care about. Just don't expect anybody else to share
31 that ambition.
32
33 x11 team decided some time ago that we would not let proprietary drivers
34 hinder the progress of X.org packages. Would it be better for our users
35 if we instead bent over to accommodate for the binary blobs from AMD,
36 Intel (yes, Intel) and NVidia? Ubuntu for example thinks that this
37 serves their users best, and I tend to agree. After all, it solves a lot
38 of headache and confusion for blob users.
39
40 However for all *I* care, blob users can go use Windows. Other
41 developers care more, and put a lot of effort into making the blobs
42 palatable on Gentoo.
43
44 >> There is no set direction (or "stream").
45 >
46 > Then why do we have an about page documenting one? There is.
47
48 You mean that page? http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
49 I don't see the words "direction" or "stream", nor anything similar
50 mentioned there.
51
52 >> Gentoo is a collection of individuals which each work on a small part
53 >> of it, and the interference in that is kept to the necessary minimum,
54 >> mostly by Council enacted rules. I would be very unhappy if that were
55 >> to change.
56 >
57 > You can't avoid interference, it is bound to happen sooner or later;
58 > when it does, Council shouldn't be implied, but rather be the exception.
59 >
60 > I would be very unhappy if Gentoo only ran on rules and silence;
61 > these not only affect our developers, but even more also our users.
62
63 Interference does happen, I did not claim otherwise. If you disagree
64 with another developer, you of course are entitled to complain loudly
65 and try to convince him of your way.
68 Best regards,
69 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn