From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council: Policy for Systemd units
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:33:55
1 On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 00:59:15 +0430
2 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > So users and other developers can choose what they like more.
5
6 I don't think they will like half of the files being in the package X
7 and the other half being in a different package X-systemd and yet
8 another half being stuffed in a collective package systemd-units.
9
10 Oh, and not to forget about X-openrc, X-cron, X-..., ... and so on.
11
12 Putting the maintenance burden on users is the worst thing we can do.
13
14 > I believe QA has no authority to (functionally) change packages,
15 > although they can p.mask whatever they consider unacceptable.
16
17 Define "unacceptable", maybe they'll mask the X-whatever packages in the
18 future because it has turned into a mess; such a mess we can't easily
19 migrate away from, because we first have to start another 5 threads...
20
21 > Besides, I do not think that it makes sense here to distinguish
22 > between individual developers maintaining individual packages, herds
23 > (package maintenance groups) and projects.
24
25 They were probably just examples; I don't advocate the idea he
26 explained there, but I'm against all the alternatives that are being
27 suggested. They might make sense from a "making maintainers happy"
28 perspective, but in practice it just damages the user experience.
29
30 > This is something I fundamentally do not agree with. Gentoo is not a
31 > team that works together.
32
33 It's not like in a sports game, but we are people working together; we
34 may not pursue the same thing, but we should pursue what is best for
35 our users. Whatever way you go, the users will end up experiencing it.
36
37 > There is no set direction (or "stream").
38
39 Then why do we have an about page documenting one? There is.
40
41 > Gentoo is a collection of individuals which each work on a small part
42 > of it, and the interference in that is kept to the necessary minimum,
43 > mostly by Council enacted rules. I would be very unhappy if that were
44 > to change.
45
46 You can't avoid interference, it is bound to happen sooner or later;
47 when it does, Council shouldn't be implied, but rather be the exception.
48
49 I would be very unhappy if Gentoo only ran on rules and silence;
50 these not only affect our developers, but even more also our users.
53 With kind regards,
54
55 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
56 Gentoo Developer
57
58 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
59 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
60 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D