From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council: Policy for Systemd units
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 20:29:37
1 Rich Freeman schrieb:
2 > Packages can be maintained by individuals in which case anybody who
3 > wants to maintain the package can do so, and they're all equals.
4
5 In my understanding, nobody can monopolize a certain piece of software.
6 So if developer A maintains package X, and developer B disagrees with
7 his decisions, then he can fork and commit his ebuild for X under a
8 different name (say, X-betterthanfromA). So users and other developers
9 can choose what they like more.
10
11 So if you want systemd support for a particular package, you do not need
12 the agreement of the maintainer. Just commit your own package, and
13 nobody else will have a say in that.
14
15 > Packages can be maintained by projects, perhaps as part of a herd.
16 > Anybody can start/join a project, and project members elect a head
17 > annually. Projects have more authority than individuals (that just
18 > makes sense). Devrel and QA are special projects that have different
19 > rules.
20
21 I believe QA has no authority to (functionally) change packages,
22 although they can p.mask whatever they consider unacceptable. Besides, I
23 do not think that it makes sense here to distinguish between individual
24 developers maintaining individual packages, herds (package maintenance
25 groups) and projects.
26
27 > Bottom line though is that Michał has it right. We're a team that
28 > works together. When it is obvious that you're swimming against the
29 > stream you need to change direction. Gentoo is fairly accommodating
30 > in letting people do weird things on the side that are even
31 > contradictory to the mainstream, but they have to be on the side.
32 > Users really need a decent day-to-day experience with the packages in
33 > the main tree.
34
35 This is something I fundamentally do not agree with. Gentoo is not a
36 team that works together. There is no set direction (or "stream").
37 Gentoo is a collection of individuals which each work on a small part of
38 it, and the interference in that is kept to the necessary minimum,
39 mostly by Council enacted rules. I would be very unhappy if that were to
40 change.
43 Best regards,
44 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn