From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 11:00:08
1 On 03/29/2014 10:33 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 10:20 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 09:35:32PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 8:37 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>> Some how we need to focus on getting people to respect each other and
6 >>>> the policies we already have, and quite frankly, if they won't do that,
7 >>>> removing them from the community.
8 >>> Alas, we cannot afford to drive people away any more than we can
9 >>> afford to let them drive others away...
10 >> I agree, I'm just not sure how to make that happen. I don't think though
11 >> that the answer is more policies/red tape.
12 > And neither is ignoring the problem.
13 >
14 > I was just venting my frustration, as are many others. I think that
15 > this is just a really great idea that suffered because of how it was
16 > implemented, and all the subsequent reactions and counter-reactions.
17 > We need to move on, and I think all of us can learn something from
18 > what happened.
19 >
20 > I think your posts were right-on.
21 >
22 > Rich
25 While implementing a new policy may not be the right approach (or so I'm
26 hearing from the community), I can bring forward at least 3 examples of
27 significant changes that were not discussed. I don't think I would have
28 difficulty convincing people of this fact. If we do not enact policy
29 then how is this problem addressed?
30
31 As far as "driving people away" I will shift my efforts to recruiting.
32 I am a professor and can get more students into Gentoo development. We
33 cannot adopt a de facto situation where devs can misbehave because they
34 are indispensable.
37 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
38 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
39 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
40 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
41 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA