From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 15:12:39
1 On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 17:58:52 +0300
2 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 07/04/14 17:49, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 14:54:43 +0300
5 > > Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> You can get me to change mind by writing up a policy that says
7 > >> dynamic deps can't be relied upon, and getting rest of the QA
8 > >> team, perhaps council, on board with it.
9 > > They can't be relied upon: they stop working as soon as you remove
10 > > an ebuild from the tree when the user still has that version
11 > > installed. They also don't work if you make changes to runtime
12 > > dependencies that need a reinstall or upgrade, as has happened with
13 > > various -config utilities.
16 > Of course if reinstall or upgrade is required, then revision bump is
17 > issued as normal.
18
19 But we've seen this not happen: people have had old versions of a
20 package installed that needed foo-config installed to do the uninstall
21 (e.g. pkg_postrm), and then an eclass was changed to use foo2-config
22 instead, and the uninstall or upgrade wouldn't work because foo-config
23 had incorrectly been uninstalled.
24
25 Dynamic dependencies do *not* mean dynamic pkg_* functions.
26
27 > If the version isn't anymore in Portage, then user will be upgrading
28 > into one that is anyway, and
29 > the problem becomes moot.
30
31 This isn't enforced, though. And see above: it's only moot if you
32 ignore all the ways it goes wrong.
33
34 > I'm aware it's not perfect, but it's the best we have.
35 >
36 > I'm also aware of Paludis having more issues with it, than Portage,
37 > IIRC, which is really irrelevant since
38 > Portage is the official PM. No, this is not a flamebait, and I feel
39 > like apologizing to you already, but that's just how I see it.
40 >
41 > I'm arguing that working around the PM bug(s) by enforcing "a useless"
42 > rebuilds for everyone, is not the solution.
43
44 The bug is Portage sometimes doing dynamic deps...
47 Ciaran McCreesh