From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 15:04:55
1 On 07/04/14 17:49, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 14:54:43 +0300
3 > Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
4 >> You can get me to change mind by writing up a policy that says
5 >> dynamic deps can't be relied upon, and getting rest of the QA
6 >> team, perhaps council, on board with it.
7 > They can't be relied upon: they stop working as soon as you remove an
8 > ebuild from the tree when the user still has that version installed.
9 > They also don't work if you make changes to runtime dependencies that
10 > need a reinstall or upgrade, as has happened with various -config
11 > utilities.
14 Of course if reinstall or upgrade is required, then revision bump is
15 issued as normal.
16 If the version isn't anymore in Portage, then user will be upgrading
17 into one that is anyway, and
18 the problem becomes moot.
19
20 I'm aware it's not perfect, but it's the best we have.
21
22 I'm also aware of Paludis having more issues with it, than Portage,
23 IIRC, which is really irrelevant since
24 Portage is the official PM. No, this is not a flamebait, and I feel
25 like apologizing to you already, but that's just how I see it.
26
27 I'm arguing that working around the PM bug(s) by enforcing "a useless"
28 rebuilds for everyone, is not the solution.
29
30 - Samuli