From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: council@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Agenda for Gentoo Council meeting on 2014-02-25
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 15:28:01
1 On N, 2014-02-20 at 22:00 -0600, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > gtk USE flags
3 > =============
4 >
5 > (20 minutes)
6 >
7 > chithanh has asked whether QA can make decisions about USE flag
8 > naming
9 > and usage. I interpret that to mean whether QA has authority over
10 > tree
11 > policy.
12 >
13 > Vote: Confirm whether QA has authority over tree policy, including
14 > USE
15 > flag naming and usage.
16 >
17 > References:
18 > - http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/90291
19 > - http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/3321
20 > - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:48
23 > ulm requested that the council examine QA's decision.
24 >
25 > Vote: Do we affirm QA's decision?
26 >
27 > If not:
28 >
29 > Vote: What should the USE flag usage be?
30 >
31 > - 'gtk' only (maintainer chooses optimal version)
32 > - 'gtk2', 'gtk3' etc but without 'gtk'
33 > - subpoint: 'gtk' == 'gtk2' for ease of porting
34 > - 'gtk' is a USE_EXPAND like python versions
35 > - 'gtk' is mandatory for *any* version, gtk2/gtk3 pick which
38 > References:
39 > - http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/3319
40 > - http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/90291
41 > - (2005) http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=111212920310822&w=2
42
43 As the Gnome team lead, which maintains gtk+, I hereby request that any
44 decision point concerning the gtk USE flag be removed from the agenda of
45 shortly upcoming next council meeting.
46 This implies the suggestion to suspend QA decision on this matter for
47 the time being (irregardless of tree policy authority of QA team - such
48 authority could be fine, given due process), and allow a proper process
49 to take place before maintainers are asked to completely swap around
50 their approach, only to perhaps end up with something completely
51 different a month later.
52
53 We, at the Gnome team, are dissatisfied with the way QA team discussed
54 this point without consulting the Gnome team. Calling me into a meeting,
55 just because I happened to be around for a few words, unprepared, is not
56 consulting, and proclaiming a policy that is against current Gnome
57 policy with no explanation nor logs of relevant discussion and technical
58 demonstration just demonstrates a complete lack of formal thinking.
59 This all started with a friendly approaching on changing our internal
60 policy to be tree-wide, and all of a sudden a couple weeks later we have
61 the complete opposite of the status quo of 10 years being declared
62 policy.
63
64 We acknowledge that our policy may not have been perfect but we need
65 time to analyze claims brought up by/to the QA team to construct a
66 proper proposal for a better policy that would satisfy everyone;
67 hopefully in co-operation with a QA team.
68
69 My suggestion is that someone from the Council or the QA team takes
70 leadership in this issue and revitalizes technical discussions that
71 happened in the mailing lists again via actually summarizing the points
72 mentioned and concretely forming a good thesis of one or another
73 approach is better than the other.
74
75 Additionally it appears that we all in Gentoo need to think through and
76 understand what exactly USE flags are, for what they are used and so on.
77 The same oddly appears to slightly be the case for SLOTs and when to use
78 which (SLOT or USE).
79 Are USE flags just for expressing external dependencies from configure
80 switches, or are they for expressing features (e.g, USE=gui).
83 Respectfully,
84 Mart Raudsepp
85 Gentoo Linux Gnome team lead