From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-02-25
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 18:59:56
1 On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 17:46:22 +0100
2 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Donnie Berkholz schrieb:
5 > > Funny how every time a controversial decision gets made, somebody
6 > > inevitably tries to undermine the authority of the group making the
7 > > decision.
8 > >
9 > > In my understanding, the issue you want to address is whether the
10 > > QA team has authority over tree policy.
11 > >
12 > > Will add to the agenda.
13 >
14 > Thanks, I would like to phrase the question a little more precisely:
15 >
16 > I would like to ask council to state whether the QA team has the
17 > authority to mandate a policy when there is neither general agreement
18 > that this policy is a good thing, nor the policy would avert any kind
19 > of immediate serious problem for users.
20
21 That can be reduced to the question whether QA is considered serious.
22
23 (There is a majority that agrees as well as a serious problem to users
24 in the GTK+ USE flag situation; the former can be deduced from the
25 mailing list, the latter can be realized when controlling the USE flag
26 among a lot of GTK+ packages. It is something that can be done later; on
27 the other hand, if we categorize everything that way it halts progress)
28
29 > > I happen to disagree. GLEP 48's point about maintaining "QA
30 > > Standards" applies to this.
31 >
32 > "QA Standards" are not really defined in GLEP 48 either. Maybe council
33 > could also clarify whether "QA Standard" is just another name for
34 > "tree policy".
35
36 The GLEP states that we can
37
38 1) maintain a list of current "QA Standards";
39
40 2) ensure all developer tools are in line with the current QA
41 standards;
42
43 3) and apply it as per "In the event that a developer still insists
44 that a package does not break QA standards, an appeal can be made at
45 the next council meeting. The package should be dealt with per QA's
46 request until such a time that a decision is made by the council."
47
48 which effectively makes the "QA Standards" act as policy.
49
50 As "QA Standards" under this interpretation are needed to raise
51 quality; the council should clarify whether we are able to raise the
52 quality level, or rather are restricted to what exists and expect the
53 council to raise the quality instead (by having the council do that).
56 With kind regards,
57
58 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
59 Gentoo Developer
60
61 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
62 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
63 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D